Find Out what NEVO NEON Learnt
1. When and why did you start playing?
NOVA NEON: We all started playing from a fairly young age, and we have all been massively active in music since.
2. Which instruments do you play?
NOVA NEON: Our drummer Leon plays all the instruments, he’s one of those, Tom our bass player also sings, K plays keys, synths, guitars and songs, Aaron is a guitarist through and through whilst Bianca is a singer who now plays some keys for the band.
3. What was the first tune(s) you learned?
NOVA NEON: We probably all learned Stairway, Riverboat Song, Street Spirit and Wonderwall at similar times, maybe Good Times by Chic and Wish You Were Here also.
4. Is your family musical?
NOVA NEON: None of us actually have musical families, although Tom’s dad is a sound engineer extraordinaire who used to build his own desks.
5. Describe your family member’s musical interests and abilities.
NOVA NEON: They all like the band obviously and support as like crazy. With so many parents it’s safe to see all the music.
6. Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
NOVA NEON: Prince, because he is utterly unique. Daft Punk cause they super geeks that have managed to capture the world’s imagination through their music. Radiohead because they love to break boundaries. Chic for the grooves. The list could go on forever.
7. Which famous musicians have you learned from?
NOVA NEON: We’ve all been influenced by instrumentalists from famous acts in different ways. Here’s a few – Thom Yorke, Tom Morello, Luke Flowers, Bernard Edwards, Nicko McBrain, Beyonce, Prince etc
8. Who was your first teacher? Other teachers?
9. Describe your first instrument. Other instruments.
10. What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
NOVA NEON: Most of us had really fond memories in those bands we started playing in when we were young, at college, at uni. The buzz of being in your first proper band. We’ve brought all those good memories and experiences to make this project happen.
11. Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
NOVA NEON:Pink Floyd was always around it seemed, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here. Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On was a seminal moment in our music education, as recorded like Dummy from Portishead and Daft Punks Discovery.
12. Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD’s?
NOVA NEON: Radiohead, Prince, Michael Jackson, Cinematic Orchestra, Led Zeppelin, Kool & The Gang, Beyonce, Portishead, There’s 5 of us, so I’m sure you understand this could be a very long list.
13. Have you been in competitions? Fleadh’s? Any prizes?
NOVA NEON: We recently played at the Isle of Wight festival competition and we got a slot at the festival. That was a pretty awesome experience.
14. Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?
NOVA NEON: We played regularly, we have 4 shows next week to promote our debut album CHROMA out next Monday. The Bedford on the 28th is a bit of a lounge atmosphere, so we’re gonna ditch the heavy sound and electronics and play some tunes really stripped back. Then we’ve got 2 full band shows where we’re going to play the full album start to end as it is on the record, 11 tracks. The big one is at The Lounge in Archway on Sept 30th, The final show is for Sofar Sounds on Oct 1st at a secret location, this is super stripped back so no PA. We just turn up as a 5 piece with some basic gear and go for it. These are super fun and great for music lovers as they are very intimate.
15. Do you play for dances? Step-dancers? Describe the differences.
NOVA NEON: No.
16. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
NOVA NEON: Play through them, pretend they never happened and then keep on practicing until no mistakes are ever made.
17. Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
NOVA NEON: Sometimes, depends on the gig. It’s always more nerve racking when family is there, also when industry are present and we’re playing alongside a really good band.
18. What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
NOVA NEON: It’s part of the process, sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn’t, but if you want to be a musician you have to put it aside and get on that stage, however, scary it is. The best way to get rid of nervousness is practice until you are really confident and do as many gigs as possible until it becomes 2nd nature.
19. Do you attend sessions? What makes a good session?
NOVA NEON:Not sure what you mean by this.
20. How often and for how long do you practice?
NOVA NEON: Every week for 3 plus hours.
21. What do you practice – exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
NOVA NEON: We are currently just practicing the album and getting it super tight. It’s there.
22. Do you teach music?
NOVA NEON: Some of us have taught in the past. A little bit of teaching seems to be a big part of a musician’s life.
23. How do you balance your music with other obligations – mate, children, job?
NOVA NEON: We all work and play in the band, and rehearse, and gig, and promote, and record, and make videos, and attend photo shoots. It’s a tough thing to balance but we do it because we love the music and really want to do something great. The key is organization and a group of people that are willing to put the time and effort in. The music industry is not easy to break, but we’ll try, cause what else is there to do?